​In addition to the benefits granted to them by National Insurance, people with disabilities of working age are also entitled to vocational rehabilitation according to the conditions prescribed by law.

The purpose of the Rehabilitation Department is to help a person integrate into the workforce, while acquiring a practical vocation will increase the chances of fitting into the competitive job market. Thus, higher education programs are an important key to qualitative integration and securing a job horizon for the general population, and particularly for the disabled.

In order to help the disabled, who are suitable for higher education, to succeed in their studies, it is sometimes necessary to make the academic program accessible and to provide accommodations for their disabilities and needs. These accessibilities are provided as part of the rehabilitation program and are an integral part thereof.

 Who may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation?

» A victim of a work-related injury with at least a 10% certified permanent disability or an injury that was recognized as an occupational disease

» A general disabled person with a weighted medical disability certificate that is at least 20% permanent, even if she\ he does not receive a disability pension from the National Insurance Institute.

» A person injured in acts of hostility with a certified disability of at least 20% as well as a widow and orphans of a victim of acts of hostility.

» A widow/widower who has been recognized by the Department of Survivors/ Dependents of Work Accident Victims.

In addition:

        1. Due to his disability, he is unable to do his job or another suitable job. There are functional limitations due to his medical condition.

        2. He requires vocational training in order to return to his occupation or should engage in another suitable job occupation.

        3. He is suitable for vocational rehabilitation.

        4. He is not entitled to rehabilitation under another law (e.g. Ministry of Defense).

Therefore, in the first stage you are required to submit a claim for general disability and to appear before a medical board that will determine the percentage of disability to which you are entitled.

Keep in mind that you do not have to receive a disability pension in order to be eligible for vocational rehabilitation.


Submission of a claim for a disability pension:

A claim for a disability pension may be submitted to the National Insurance Institute at the claimant's place of residence as appears on the identity card or by mail/fax.

The claim form can be obtained at the branch or may be downloaded from the National Insurance Institute website. Be sure to attach all required documents in the claim form.

Students with disabilities such as heart disease, epilepsy, juvenile diabetes, hearing impairment, vision impairment etc. can apply and check eligibility.

Students with an attention deficit disorder - depending on the severity of the disability.

Students with a learning disability (single disability) are not eligible for assistance.


Further details can be found on the National Insurance Institute website, General Disability.

After determining the entitlement, the rehabilitation program will be determined, taking into account the disabilities, qualifications and abilities, the person's wishes and the labor market.

Rehabilitation payments during the period of study:

  1. Refund of tuition: Today, the maximum tuition per year is NIS 13,079.

  2. Payment of rehabilitation allowance during training/studies - A monthly pension in the amount of a full disability pension (which currently stands at NIS 2,267), provided you study at least 20 hours a week (60 minutes) and do not receive a full disability pension. If you receive a partial disability pension, the rehabilitation allowance will be in the amount of a full disability pension.

  3. Travel expenses to studies up to the amount of a monthly travel pass. For severely disabled people who are unable, for medical reasons, to use public transportation, the possibility of providing special transportation will be examined.

  4. Books and study devices - up to NIS 891 per year (subject to submitting receipts).

  5. Rent refund (for students residing at least 40 km from the university) - provided that the student studies three days a week for a minimum of 20 hours a week - up to NIS 1,200 a month.

  6. Accessibility services - reading-out study material, tutoring, personal accompaniment, laptop, etc.

 Claim for vocational rehabilitation:

Must be submitted on Form 270 at the branch of the National Insurance Institute at the place of residence. The form can be downloaded from the National Insurance Institute website and sent by mail/fax.


Further details can be found on the National Insurance Institute website, Vocational Rehabilitation


National Insurance Institute contact address:

Rachel Solomoni

Phone 08-6295342

Email:  rachelsl@nioi.gov.il