Mechanical Engineering High Preformance Computing (me HPC)
2 x Xeon E5-2680v4
2 x Xeon E5-2680v2
2 x Xeon E5-2640
To use these resources you need to do 2 things:
- Get familiar with the tools and procedures needed for connection to me HPC. http://in.bgu.ac.il/computing/Pages/BGU-HPC.aspx
- Contact your IT support.
Tools for connecting to the HPC
- ssh client - is a textual software that is used for secure connection to the HPC.
- vnc client - is a graphical software that is used for connecting to the HPC.
- You may download these tools from ftp://hpcin.bgu.ac.il/pub/
Connecting to the HPC
- Use ssh client (terminal) to connect to the HPC via hpcin server with your credencials. These credentials will not change once you login.
- If you are running to a queue use fluent.q
- In the terminal type
vncserver -list to find your X display session value. In the following example it is :37
- If you have no X display session type
vncserver in the terminal to get one. Please do not consume more than one X display session because it loads the login process.
- If you didn’t yet create a vnc password on this server (or you wish to change it) do it now from the terminal by typing vncpasswd and than selecting a password.
- Use VNC viewer to connect to the HPC using the X display number you located at 2-3 (e.g hpcin:37) and your vnc password. If the connection is refused by the server use
vncserver -kill :37 to delete your current X display session and open a new one (see 3).
Connecting to me HPC
To work with Fluent in a graphic mode you need to connect to one of the department servers in the HPC (e.g. sge1014) and run from the ess (our storage space).
- In the VNC viewer open a terminal and run
xhost + . This will allow graphics X.
- ssh sge1014 to connect to this server (you can alternatively select one of the other server)
- setenv DISPLAY sge212:37 to send the X stream to the VNC you opened (make sure to change the X display number to yours).
- cd ess to chang to the ess directory.
- bash to enter bash shell
- export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 to define environment variable.
- If all went well you are ready to run your app graphicly. Type
fluent on the ssh terminal and Fluent will open on the VNC.
Transfering Files from windows to the HPC
- Use the ssh ftp tool that you installed (ssh client) to transfer files.
- Connect to server hpcin using SSH Secure File Transfer with your credential.
- Make sure to change the path of the remote server to /fastspace/users/<your username>
- Now you can drag and drop files from the server to your local disk and Vice Versa
gpfs Storage resource
- We recommand to work in folder ess which is mounted to the gpfs volum. To do that use cd ess
- To see the amount of storage space available in gpfs to our group use the command group_quota_ess
- In some machines there are local disks which you can work with. Use the df -h command to see if there is a local disk on the current machine and available space.
BGU HPC status
More on ESS http://sge01z:8080/HPC/wiki/ESS.html
Be a friend with the wiki