List of peer reviewed Publications 2018,
1. Gross, A., A. Maimon, Y. Alfiya, and E. Friedler. 2015. Greywater Reuse. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Inc., London, UK. pp. 301.
1. Gross, A., C. E. Boyd, R. T. Lovell and J. Eya. 1998. Phosphorus budgets for channel catfish ponds receiving diets with different phosphorus concentrations. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 29: 31-39.
2. Queiroz, F. J., C. E. Boyd and A. Gross. 1998. Evaluation of a bio-organic catalyst in channel catfish, Ichtalurus punctatus, ponds. Journal of Applied Aquaculture 8: 49-61.
3. Boyd, C. E, A. Gross and M. Rowan. 1998. Laboratory study of sedimentation for improving quality of pond effluents. Journal of Applied Aquaculture 8: 39-48.
4. Gross, A. and C. E. Boyd. 1998. A digestion procedure for the simultaneous determination of total nitrogen and total phosphorus in pond water. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 29: 300-303.
5. Gross, A., C. E. Boyd and W. C. WoodC. 1999. Ammonia volatilization from fishponds. Journal of Environmental Quality 28: 793-797.
6. Boyd, C. E. and A. Gross. 1999. Biochemical oxygen demand in channel catfish pond waters. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 30: 349-356.
7. Gross, A., C. E. Boyd and J. Seo. 1999. Evaluation of the ultraviolet spectrophotometric method for the measurement of total nitrogen in water. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 30: 388-393.
8. Gross, A., C. E. Boyd and R. T. Lovell. 1999. Effects of feed protein concentration and feeding rate combinations on quality of pond water and effluent in channel catfish culture. Israeli Journal of Aquaculture, Bamidgeh 51(2): 47-57.
9. Boyd, C. E. and A. Gross. 2000. Water use and conservation for inland aquaculture ponds. Fisheries Management and Ecology 7: 1-2.
10. Boyd, C. E., J. Queiroz, G. N. Whites, M. Rowan, J. Y. Lee and A. Gross. 2000. Environmental assessment of channel catfish farming in Alabama. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 31: 511-544.
11. Gross, A., C. E. Boyd and C. W. Wood. 2000. Nitrogen transformations and balance in channel catfish ponds. Aquaculture Engineering 24: 1-14.
12. Gross, A., Boyd, C. E., & Wood, C. W. (2000). Ammonia volatilization from freshwater fish ponds. Environmental Pollution.
13. Zilberg, D., Gross, A. and Munday, B.L. 2001. Production of salmonid amoebic gill disease by exposure to Paramoeba sp. harvested from the gills of infected fish. Journal of Fish Diseases 24:181-183
14. Gross, A., A. Nemirovsky, D. Zilberg, A. Khaimov, A. Brenner, E. Snir, Z. Ronen and A. Nejidat. 2003. Soil nitrifying enrichments as biofilter starters in intensive re-circulating saline water aquaculture. Aquaculture 223: 51-62.
15. Douglas-Helders, G.M., O'Brien, D.P., Mccorkell, B.E., Zilberg, D., Gross, A. Carson, J. and Nowak, B.F. 2003. Temporal and spatial distribution of Paramoeba sp. in the water column- a pilot study. Journal of Fish Diseases 26:231-240.
16. Gross, A., A. Besov, D. Diaz Reck, G. Ben-Dor, A. Britan, S. Sorek and E. Palchikov. 2003. Application of waves for remediation of contaminated aquifers. Environmental Science and Technology 37: 4481-4486. The findings and ideas in this paper were reported by Phillip Ball in Nature Science Update, 7 Oct 2003 under the title “Shocks may clean up aquifers”. Nature News Service/Macmillan Magazines Ltd. www.nature.com/nsu/.
17. Gross, A., S. Abutbul and D. Zilberg. 2004. Acute and chronic effects of nitrite on white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, cultured in low-salinity brackish water. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 35: 315-321.
18. Rowan, M., A. Gross and C. E. Boyd. 2004. Effects of alum on aquaculture effluent quality in settling ponds. Israeli Journal of Aquaculture, Bamidgeh 56: 166-175.
19. Gross, A., N. Azulai, G. Oron, Z. Ronen, M. Arnold and A. Nejidat. 2005. Environmental impact and health risks associated with greywater irrigation—a case study. Water Science & Technology 52(8): 161-169.
20. Wiel-Shafran, A., A. Gross, Z. Ronen, N. Weisbrod and E. Adar. 2005. Effects of surfactants originating from reuse of greywater on capillary rise in the soil. Water Science & Technology 52:(10-11) 157-166.
21. Wiel-Shafran, A., Z. Ronen, N. Weisbrod, E. Adar and A. Gross. 2006. Potential changes in soil properties following irrigation with surfactant-rich greywater. Ecological Engineering 26: 348-354.
22. Gross, A, O. Shmueli, Z. Ronen and E. Raveh. 2007. Recycled Vertical Flow Constructed Wetland (RVFCW)—a novel method of recycling greywater for landscape irrigation in small communities and households. Chemosphere 66: 916-923.
23. Gross, A., D. Kaplan and K. H. Baker. 2007. Removal of chemical and microbiological contaminants from domestic greywater using a recirculating vertical flow bioreactor. Ecological Engineering 31: 107-114.
24. Gross, A., R. Arusi, P. Fine and A. Nejidat. 2008. Assessment of extraction methods with fowl manure for the production of liquid organic fertilizers. Bioresource Technology 99: 327-334.
25. Travis, M. J., N. Weisbrod and A. Gross. 2008. Accumulation of oil and grease in soils irrigated with greywater and their potential role in soil water repellency. Science of the Total Environment 394: 68-74.
26. Mirzoyan, N., S. Parnes, A. Singer, Y. Tal, K. Sowers and A. Gross. 2008. Quality of brackish aquaculture sludge and its suitability for anaerobic digestion and methane production in an upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor. Aquaculture 279: 35-41.
27. Arnon, S., O. Dahan, S. Elhanany, K. Cohen, I. Pankratov, A. Gross, Z. Ronen, S. Baram and L.S. Shore. 2008. Transport of testosterone and estrogen from dairy-farm waste lagoons to groundwater. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 5521-5526.
28. Gross, A., A. Bernstein, R.Vulkan, J. Tarchitzky, A. Ben-Gal and U. Yermiyahu. 2008. Simple digestion procedure followed by the azomethine-H method for accurate boron analysis and discrimination between its fractions in wastewater and soils. Chemosphere 72: 400-406.
29. Gross, A., M. Y. Sklarz, A. Yakirevich and M. I. M. Soares. 2008. Small scale recirculating vertical flow constructed wetland (RVFCW) for the treatment and reuse of wastewater. Water Science & Technology 58: 487-494. (3 Citations; IF 1.06; 76/230; Q2)
30. Singer, A., S. Parnes, A. Gross, A. Sagi and A. Brenner. 2008. A novel approach to denitrification processes in a zero-discharge recirculating system for small scale urban aquaculture. Aquacultural Engineering 39: 72-77. (10 Citations; IF 1.89; Aquatic Sci 29/195; Q1)
31. Sklarz, M. Y., A. Gross, A. Yakirevich and M. I. M. Soares. 2009. A recirculating vertical flow constructed wetland for the treatment of domestic wastewater. Desalination 246: 617-624.
32. Tencer, Y., G. Idan, M. Strom, U. Nusinow, D. Banet, E. Cohen, P. Schröder, O. Shelef, S. Rachmilevitch, I. Soares, A. Gross and A. Golan-Goldhirsh. 2009. Establishment of a constructed wetland in extreme dryland. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 16: 862-875.
33. Ronen, Z., A. Guerrero and A. Gross. 2010. Greywater disinfection with the environmentally friendly Hydrogen Peroxide Plus (HPP). Chemosphere 78: 61-65.
34. Sklarz, M. Y., A. Gross, M. I. M. Soares and A. Yakirevich. 2010. Mathematical model for analysis of recirculating vertical flow constructed wetlands. Water Research 44: 2010-2020.
35. Travis, M. J., A. Wiel-Shafran, N. Weisbrod, E. Adar and A. Gross. 2010. Greywater reuse of irrigation: effect on soil properties. Science of the Total Environment 12: 2501-2508.
36. Maimon, A., A. Tal, E. Friedler and A. Gross. 2010. Safe on-site reuse of greywater for irrigation—a critical review of current guidelines. Environmental Science & Technology 44: 3213-3220.
37. Mirzoyan, N., Y. Tal and A. Gross. 2010. Anaerobic digestion of sludge from intensive systems: review. Aquaculture 306:1-6.
38. Posmanik, R, B. Bar Sinay, R. Golan, A. Nejidat and A. Gross. 2011. Reuse of stabilized fowl manure as soil amendment and its implication on organic agriculture nutrition management. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 216: 537-545.
39. Gross, A., M. R. Mohamed, M. Anda and G. Ho. 2011. Effectiveness of wetting agents for irrigating sandy soils. Water 38:154-157.
40. Zapater, M., A. Gross and M. I. M. Soares. 2011. Capacity of the recirculating vertical flow constructed wetland (RVFCW) to withstand extreme events. Ecological Engineering 37: 1572-157.
41. Sklarz, M. Y., O. Gillor A. Gross, A. Yakirevich and M. I. M. Soares. 2011. Microbial diversity and community composition in recirculating vertical flow constructed wetlands. Water Science and Technology. 64, 2306-2315.
42. Travis, M.J., A. Gross and N. Weisbrod. 2011. Transport of Colloidal Oil Droplets in Saturated and Unsaturated Sand Columns. Environmental Science and Technology 45:9205-9211.
43. Gross, A., O. Guy, R. Posmanik, P. Fine and A. Nejidat. A. 2012. Novel method for the combined biowaste stabilization and production of nitrate-rich liquid fertilizer for use in organic horticulture. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 223:1205-1214.
44. Mirzoyan, N. R. C. McDonald and A. Gross. 2012. Anaerobic Treatment of Brackishwater Aquaculture Sludge: An Alternative to Waste Stabilization Ponds. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 43:238-248.
45. Travis, M. J., N. Weisbrod, and A.Gross. 2012. Decentralized wetland-based treatment of oil-rich farm wastewater for reuse in an arid environment. Ecological Engineering 39: 81-89.
46. Shelef, O., A. Gross and S. Rachmilevitch. 2012. The use of Bassia indica for salt phytoremediation in constructed wetlands. Water Research 46: 3967-3976.
47. Kfir, O., A. Tal, A. Gross and E. Adar. 2012. The Effect of Reservoir Operational Features on Recycled Wastewater Quality. Resources, Conservation & Recycling 68:76-87.
48. Alfiya, Y., A. Gross, M. Sklarz, and E. Friedler. 2013. Reliability of on-site greywater treatment systems in Mediterranean and arid environments – a case study. Water Science and Technology 67:1389-1395.
49. Posmanik, R., A. Nejidat B. Bar-Sinay, and A. Gross. 2013. Integrated biological treatment of fowl manure for nitrogen recovery. Journal of Environmental Management 117: 172-179.
50. Mirzoyan, N. and A. Gross. 2013. Use of UASB reactors for brackish aquaculture sludge digestion under different conditions. Water Research 47:2843-50.
51. Sklarz, Y M. M. Zhou, D. L. Ferrando, A. Yakirevich, O. Gillor, A. Gross, and I. M. Soares. 2013. Effect of Treated Domestic Wastewater on Soil Physicochemical and Microbiological Properties. Journal of Environmental Quality 42: 4: 1226-1235.
52. Shelef, O., A. Gross and S. Rachmilevitch. 2013. Role of Plants in a Constructed Wetland: Current and New Perspectives. Water 5:405-419 (invited article).
53. Benami, M., A. Gross, M. Herzberg, E. Orlofsky and O. Gillor. 2013. Assessment of pathogenic bacteria in treated greywater and irrigated soils. Science of the Total Environment 458–460: 298-302.
54. Posmanik, R., A. Gross and A. Nejidat. 2014. Effect of high ammonia loads emitted from poultry-manure digestion on nitrification activity and nitrifier-community structure in a compost biofilter. Ecological Engineering 62:140-147.
55. Gross, A., Y. Alfiya, M. Sklarz, A. Maimon, and E. Friedler. 2014. Environmental impact of irrigation with greywater treated by recirculating vertical flow constructed wetlands in two climatic regions. Water Science and Technology 69: 2452-2459.
56. Maimon, A., E. Friedlerand A. Gross. 2014. Parameters affecting greywater quality and its safety for reuse. Science of the Total Environment 487:20-25.
57. Freedman, A., A. Gross, O. Shelef, S. Rachmilevitch and S. Arnon. 2014. Salt uptake and evapotranspiration under arid conditions in horizontal subsurface flow constructed wetland planted with halophytes. Ecological Engineering 70:282–286.
58. Benami, M., O. Gillor, and A. Gross. 2015. The question of pathogen quantification in disinfected graywater. Science of The Total Environment 506-507: 496–504.
59. Korine, C., A. Adams, U. Shamir and A. Gross. 2015. Effect of water quality on species richness and activity of bats of desert-dwelling bats: Can bats indicate water quality? Mammalian Biology 80:185-190.
60. Fox, S., N. Mozes, O. Lahav, N. Mirzoyan and A. Gross. 2015. Treatment of nitrate-rich saline effluent by using citrate-rich waste as carbon source and electron donor in a single-stage activated sludge reactor. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 226:134-144.
61. Mirzoyan, N. and A. Gross. 2015. Electron-acceptor utilization and methanogenesis in brackish aquaculture sludge. Aquacultural Engineering 67:32-38.
62. Orlofsky, E. M. Benami, A. Gross, M. Dutt and O. Gillor. 2015. Rapid MPN-qPCR screening for pathogens in air, soil, water and agricultural produce. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 226:303-312.
63. Busgang, A., E. Friedler, O. Ovadia and A. Gross. 2015. Epidemiological study for the assessment of health risks associated with greywater reuse for irrigation in arid regions. Science of the Total Environment 538:230-239.
64. Aruety, T., T. Brunner, Z. Ronen, A. Gross, K. Sowers and D. Zilberg. 2016. Decreasing levels of the fish pathogen Streptococcus iniae following inoculation into the sludge digester of a zero-discharge recirculating aquaculture system (RAS). Aquaculture 450:335-341.
65. Quinn, B., E. Apolinario, A. Gross and Kevin R Sowers. 2016. Microbial characterization of mariculture fish waste reduction to biomethane in a land-based recirculating mariculture system. Aquaculture 453:154-162.
66. Benami, M., A. Busgang, O. Gillor, and A. Gross. 2016. Quantification and risks associated with bacterial aerosols near domestic greywater-treatment systems. Science of the Total Environment, 562: 344–352.
67. Benami, M., O. Gillor, and A. Gross. 2016. Potential health and environmental risks associated with onsite greywater reuse – a review. Built Environment 42: 212-229 (Invited Article).
68. Mau, V., J. Quance, R. Posmanik, and A. Gross. 2016. Phases’ characteristics of poultry litter hydrothermal carbonization under a range of process parameters. Bioresource Technology 219: 632-642.
69. Benami, M., O. Gillor and A. Gross. 2016. Potential microbial hazards from graywater reuse and associated matrices: a review. Water research 106: 183-195.
70. Standing, D., T. Brunner, Z. Ronen, A. Gross, and D. Zilberg. 2017. Mortality of Cryptocaryon irritans in sludge from a digester of a marine recirculating aquaculture system. Aquaculture 467:134-137.
71. Yogev, U., K. R. Sowers, N. Mozes, and A. Gross. 2017. Nitrogen and carbon balance in a novel near-zero water exchange saline recirculating aquaculture system. Aquaculture 467:118-126.
72. Yogev, U., A. Barnes A., A. Gross. 2017. Nutrients and Energy Balance Analysis for a Conceptual Model of a Three Loops off Grid, Aquaponics. Water 8:589-597, (invited article).
73. Posmanik, R., A. Nejidat, O. Dahan, and A. Gross. 2017. Seasonal and soil-type dependent emissions of nitrous oxide from irrigated desert soils amended with digested poultry manures. Science of the Total Environment 593–594: 91–98.
74. Korin, C., S. Pilosof, A. Gross, J. C. Morales and B. R. Krasnov. 2017. The effect of water contamination on ectoparasite load in an insectivorous bat. Parasitology Research 116: 2517–2526.
75. Maimon, A., Gross, A., Arye, G., 2017. Greywater-induced soil hydrophobicity. Chemosphere 184.
76. Mau, V. and A. Gross. 2017. Energy conversion and gas emissions from production and combustion of poultry-litter-derived hydrochar and biochar. Applied Energy 213: 510-519 .
77. Oazana, S., M. Naor, J. Grinshpun I. Halachmi, M. Raviv, I. Saadi, R. Avidov, V. Sudharsan Varma, L. Rosenfeld, A. Gross, and Y. Laor. 2017. A ﬂexible control system designed for lab-scale simulations and optimization of composting processes. Waste Management 72: 150-160.
78. Maimon, A. and A. Gross . 2018. Greywater: limitations and perspective. Current Opinion in Environmental Science & Health. (Invited Article), 2: 1-6.
79. Yogev, U. , A. Atari, and A. Gross . 2018. Nitrous oxide emissions from near-zero water exchange brackish recirculating aquaculture systems. Science of the total environment 628–629: 603–610.
80. Busgang, A. , Y. Gilboa, E. Friedler and A. Gross . 2018. Quantitative Microbial Risk Analysis for Various Bacterial Exposure Scenarios Involving Greywater Reuse for Irrigation. Water 10: 413-427.
81. Goddek, S., B.P.L. Delaide, A. Joyce, S. Wuertz, M. H. Jijakli, A. Gross, Ep H. Eding, I. Bläser, M. Reuter, L.C. P. Keizer, R. Morgenstern, O. Körner, J. Verreth, K.J. Keesman. 2018. Nutrient Mineralization and Organic Matter Reduction Performance of RAS-based Sludge in Sequential UASB-EGSB Reactors. Aquacultural Engineering 83: 10-19.
82. Yahav Spitzer , R., V. Mau , A. Gross. 2018. Using hydrothermal carbonization for sustainable treatment and reuse of human excreta. Journal of Cleaner Production 205: 955–963.
83. Groenveld, T. , Y.Y. Kohn , A. Gross , N. Lazarovitch . 2019. Optimization of nitrogen use efficiency by means of fertigation management in an integrated aquaculture-agriculture system. Journal of Cleaner Production 212: 401–408.