Drawing on the expertise of researchers across various disciplines at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, the Pensions, Insurance and Financial Literacy Center promotes research on retirement saving behaviors in an effort to assist policy makers, empower savers and facilitate consumers in managing their financial affairs.
Recent changes in the labor market, rising life expectancy, new pension reforms, and the growing availability of debt vehicles have placed the burden of financial management on the individual consumer. In response, vast academic research focusing on pension and financial education intends to help consumers manage their financial affairs during their productive years before they retire.
In light of these developments, Prof. Avia Spivak (Economics), Prof. Rami Yosef (Business Administration), and Prof. David Leiser (Psychology), all researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, initiated the establishment of a research center for Pension, Insurance, and Financial Literacy, integrating researchers from a range of areas, including economics, actuarial science, and economic psychology. The Center aims to promote applied interdisciplinary research in the fields of pension, insurance, and financial literacy.
The Pensions, Insurance, and Financial Literacy Research Center aims to become the leading entity for multidisciplinary research in its field. The center promotes and develops studies and activities to assist the Israeli public in preparing for retirement and handling their finances in the face of the challenges of the 21st century.
Goals and Objectives:
- Initiate feasible research on various aspects of insurance and pension related policies and reforms.
- Advise authorities and decision makers in the design and implementation of public policies.
- Encourage collaboration between the private sector and the academia.
- Raise awareness of the importance of retirement savings and financial management by supplying access to reliable and useful information.
- Support students and young researchers engaged in the center’s fields.
- Initiate national and international conferences, workshops, and seminars on the subject.
- Strengthen collaborative ventures between the center’s fellows and outside partners, including other research centers, leading scholars, and institutions in Israel and abroad.
- To place Ben-Gurion University of the Negev at the forefront of research in the field of pension and financial literacy.